Health Services


The nurse is a liaison between school and home, medical and community agencies. They plan and deliver health and emergency services, complete health screenings, supervise administration of prescribed medicines, plan health care for chronically ill students, and manage communicable disease outbreaks. They are team members for special education, Child Find, and a resource for alcohol and drug abuse. School nurses may visit homes and collaborate with parents and staff to enhance student success.

Nurses can be reached by calling your child's school and ask to speak with the school nurse.  For district nurse support, call 253-566-5600.

Health Screening - Washington State law (WAC 246-760) requires schools to conduct vision and hearing screenings of children each year.  Students in grades K-3, 5 and 7 are usually screened in the fall.  If your child is not scheduled to be screened this year you may request a screening by contacting your child's teacher or the school nurse.  Screening is not intended to replace routine physical exams by a healthcare provider. A referral will be sent home if screening results are out of range to follow up with your child's healthcare provider or an eye care professional.  

Student Health - The status of a child's health bears a direct relation to the child's ability to profit from the educational experience and to be successful in the classroom.  Every year an updated Student Health Record form must be completed for each student and made available for the school nurse. 

ImmunizationsAll students must have required immunizations against diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus (DTaP/DPT/TD/Tdap); polio; measles (rubeola), mumps, and rubella (MMR); varicella; and Hepatitis B.  All students entering preschool through 12th grade must have medically verified immunization records or a certificate of exemption on file with the school.  For school immunization requirements, see Immunizations.

Life Threatening Health Conditions
- Students who have a health problem which could become life threatening, such as severe food allergies or bee sting, asthma, diabetes, seizures, cardiac conditions, or other health conditions, must talk with the District Nurse or the school nurse at your child's school to make sure care plans and medications (Epi-pens, inhalers, and all other medications) are provided prior to the first day of school. Students that are known to have life-threatening health concerns will not be allowed to start school until this process is complete.

Medications at School - If medicine must be taken at school, prescription or over-the-counter, parent/guardian must bring the medication and signed doctor's orders to the school nurse.  Medications must be in the original container and properly labeled by the pharmacy.  Students who are allowed to carry inhalers and/or epi-pens must provide a doctor's order to be on file with the school nurse.  They may be required to have back-up medication in the health room.  All oral medication to be taken at school must be kept in the health room.  For medication orders, see Medication in School.

Emergency information - A parent/guardian must provide updated emergency contact information for their child each school year. Immediately notify the school of changes in address, phone number, alternate contacts or doctor.

Keep an ill child home - If your child is ill, please keep them home and notify your child's school.  If your child is showing signs of COVID-19 or has tested positive for COVID-19, please keep them home and notify your child's school. Please refer to the Department of Health - COVID-19 Symptoms Management Flow Chart and the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department - Preventing Illness to determine when your child should return to school after illness. 

Home/Hospital instruction is provided to students who are temporarily unable to attend school for an estimated period of four weeks or more because of a physical and/or mental disability or illness. The program does not provide tutoring to students caring for an infant or a relative who is ill.

Home/hospital is limited to services as deemed necessary to provide temporary intervention as a result of a physical and/or mental disability or illness. Services are limited to a maximum of 18 weeks. Weeks of absences may be consecutive or intermittent but may not exceed the 18-week limit. If a student will exceed the 18-week limit, consultation with the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) health services program specialist is required prior to providing extra weeks of tutoring.

Tutoring is not provided during school vacations unless students are enrolled in a district summer school program. Tutoring cannot begin for a student if less than four weeks of school remain.

Prior to providing home/hospital tutoring services, parents/guardians and the students health care provider must complete the Request for Home/Hospital Instruction form and return to the student's school counselor and/or the University Place School District, Special Services and Programs Department.

Link: Request for Home/Hospital Instruction Form

Section 504 - Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a civil rights statute. The purpose of this act is to insure against discrimination in any activity or service, educational or work environment, based on a disability.

In compliance with Section 504, University Place School District has established procedures to assure that these provisions are followed. The link below includes information to assist in development and implementation of 504 accommodation plans for students who qualify for this service.

Each school has a 504 team and coordinator. The team works together to determine eligibility based on an identified disability, how/if the disability affects a major life activity, and if so, accommodations that will be made in the school environment.

If your child has a medically diagnosed disability that you believe would qualify him/her for a 504 accommodation plan, please contact the school where your student attends. You may also contact the district Special Services Department at 253-566-5645 for additional information.

Section 504